New Nurse Assistance Fund
This fund is designed to help BCNU members who are having difficulty becoming qualified to practice in BC. The fund was established following the 2012 provincial contract negotiations.
The goal of the fund is to help BCNU members, including internationally educated nurses, who require support preparing for or completing their regulatory requirements. We want all nurses to be successful in the workplace, and to feel supported as much as possible in the process.
This fund is available to BCNU members experiencing/have experienced difficulty meeting BCCNM requirements.
- Have been unsuccessful in passing the REx-PN (formerly CPNRE), NCLEX, or RPNCE –following graduation from a Canadian School of Nursing, or following recent immigration to Canada, and
- Be an active BCNU member (currently employed at a worksite covered by a BCNU contract contributing to union dues within the last 12 months and/or employed as an Employed Student Nurse (ESN) contributing to BCNU union dues in the last 12 months).
If you are a student member, please refer to the student nurse bursaries available.
Funding May be Approved For
- Tuition, books or course fees required by BCCNM before being allowed to retake the REx-PN (formerly CPNRE), NCLEX, or RPNCE.
- Tuition for courses and/or tutoring support to prepare for REx-PN (formerly CPNRE), NCLEX, RPNCE CELBAN or IELTS.
- Exam reattempt fees.
- In certain circumstances, some honorarium in lieu of wages may be approved while completing registration processes.
The amount of funding approved is according to criteria established by BCNU Council.
To Apply for Funding
- Complete an online application form (requires Member Portal login).
- Provide your BCNU Membership ID Number. If you do not know it, please contact the BCNU Membership Department directly, providing your full name, worksite, and employee ID. Without this number your application will not be accepted.
- Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria listed above.
- Ensure you have your NCLEX Candidate Performance Report, RPNCE Examination Performance Profile, or applicable performance report from your past exam attempt to attach to the application form.
- Review the suggested resource list to determine the funding to request
You will be notified by your primary email address whether your application has been approved, and the amounts you have been approved for.
Disbursement of Approved Funds
- Once you have been approved, you must complete an online expense form (accessed through Member Portal) and attach all receipts.
- A social insurance number is required for income tax purposes.
- Under some circumstances BCNU may arrange direct payment to schools.
For further questions, please contact email@example.com.