We are the largest nursing organization in BC, and the only union to offer services to nurses related to all four domains of nursing: research, clinical practice, leadership, and education. We are committed to defending nurses' individual rights as well as the nursing profession, and are the only health care union that has a long and successful track record of gains in wages and working conditions.
The British Columbia Nurses’ Union protects and advances the health, social and economic well-being of our members, our profession and our communities.
The British Columbia Nurses’ Union will be the champion for our members, the professional voice of nursing and the leading advocate for publicly funded health care.
The seven core values listed below support the vision and mission of the BCNU as a member-driven organization, and reflect key behaviors that guide our daily actions.
1. The BCNU demonstrates Collectivity by acting together to make certain that all activities and decisions are inclusive and accomplished for the betterment of the whole
2. The BCNU demonstrates Democracy by actively engaging our membership through egalitarian processes where equal rights to both representation and involvement are guaranteed
3. The BCNU demonstrates Equality by ensuring that each member has access to all services of the BCNU
4. The BCNU demonstrates Excellence by supporting clinical practice, education, research, leadership, and incorporating best practices
5. The BCNU demonstrates Integrity by being honest, respectful, accountable and transparent
6. The BCNU demonstrates commitment to Social Justice by advocating and promoting that the social determinants of health be equally accessible to ensure the dignity of every human being
7. The BCNU demonstrates Solidarity by promoting unity of members based on shared goals and values.
BCNU's vision is outlined in our Strategic Plan. Our key priorities are to enhance BCNU capacity to respond to and protect our number one priority, our members; advance the health, socio-economic status, work-life balance and workplace safety of our members; engage the public and members to champion and improve our publicly funded and delivered health care system and protect it from further erosion; increase and strengthen our membership and affiliations; and, be the professional voice of nursing.
If you are NOT receiving updates, news, and events emailed to you, log in to the BCNU Member Portal and update your information.